Money Matters

If you are looking for information, advice or support regarding money matters you may find the following links useful:

Some of these are local organisations, others provide a national service

Benefit Entitlement
If you would like to find out what benefit entitlements you have, or want to know what your benefits would be if you returned to work Jobcentre Plus can help you.Use the web site link below to either locate your local office or view information on-line.
Jobcentre Plus


Junior Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)

Junior Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) are long-term, tax-free savings accounts for children.  In the 2018 to 2019 tax year, the savings limit for Junior ISAs is £4,260

Who can get a Junior ISA: Your child must be both:

  • under 18
  • living in the UK

Junior ISA


Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS)
Does the amount of credit you have worry you?Are you feeling anxious about what may happen?The Consumer Credit Counselling Service is a registered charity whose purpose is to assist people who are in financial difficulty by providing free, independent, impartial and realistic advice.
Consumer Credit Counselling Services


Credit Action
This is a national money education charity, formed to help people better manage their money.It offers a range of resources including debt advice guides and budget sheets, which can be downloaded from its website.They work in partnership with the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.
Credit Action

Sure Start Maternity Grant
Coping with the extra costs of a new baby can be difficult. You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant.
Who can get the grant?

You usually qualify for the grant if;

  • You’re expecting your first child – or you’re expecting a multiple birth (e.g twins) and have children already.
  • You already get certain benefits

How do I claim?

You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of the baby’s due date or within 3 months after the baby’s birth.

You dont have to pay the grant back and it won’t affect your other benefits or tax credits.
You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant on form SF100. You can get the form from the News & Downloads area of our site, click here. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in and tell you where to send it.

If you have a partner, either of you can fill in the claim form, but make sure you include the name of the baby’s mother.

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant at any time from the 29th week of your pregnancy until your child is three months old.

If you are adopting a baby, you must claim the grant within three months of the adoption and the baby should be no more than 12 months old when you claim.

If you or you or your partner have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth, you must claim within three months of the date of the parental order.
Department for Work & Pensions-Maternity Grant

Tax Credit payments for families with children
9 out of 10 families with children are entitled to tax credits. You can be given Child Tax Credit in the form of payments from the government regardless of whether you are working or not.Child Tax Credit is paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children. If you are a lone parent you will receive the payment.Working Tax Credit is for people who are employed or self-employed (either on their own or in a partnership), who usually work 16 hours or more a week, who are paid for that work, and who expect to work for at least 4 weeks.For more information either select the following web site link or call the Helpline on 0845 300 3900 (text phone 0845 300 3909 ).Inland Revenue Tax Credits